Saturday, February 18, 2012

Clearance Plants

Bromeliad bloom; photo by Phyllis Wheeler
If you have a green thumb, it's worth visiting your local garden center or nursery to check out their clearance plant racks. Sometimes the plants look perfectly fine but they need room for new stock, sometimes they need a little tlc and sometimes, well, they might be on the verge of death. It's still worth a peek if you love gardening.

Before Christmas I paid about $7.00 for a Norfolk pine tree in a tiny 3" pot at the Fort Meade Commissary. This week I found one on clearance at a local garden center for only $1.25! Not only that but the clearance plant is a tiny bit larger than the one I've had since December. I also got two large (over 14" tall) bromeliads in nice ceramic pots for less than $5.00 each. The foliage needs some trimming and they could both use a larger pot but that's still a bargain. The pots alone would normally cost more than $5.00.

I'm guessing that this is a great time of year to get bargains on plants because the holidays are over but (for most of us) it's too early to plant outside and, if my local garden center was any indication, there's not much of a crowd buying plants right now.

Hope you find some great plant bargains!

PS: If you love plants you'll surely enjoy my orchid extravaganza photos on my inspirational blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your constructive comments and suggestions for future posts. I'd love to hear from you!